Posting here a Summary of the above Discussions to highlight Questions/Suggestions & Reponses:
Summary of RFC Discussions:
Perhaps the question is that what impact should Popcorn bring, what mark should it make. I see a unique value proposition for engaging individuals in the crypto community in giving. Then perhaps as a secondary impact, the community members can choose dedicate everything to environment? I feel that this could be excluding for people who care about other humanitarian related issues (hence affect the ultimate goal of involving more people in the impact space).
Hello Thanks for your insightful response! In no way am I suggesting that all funds available for beneficiary activities be allocated to environment, that will be the decision of the DAO and Popcorn holders. My understanding is that RFC and PIPs are proposed and then approved/rejected through RFC/PIP Process with no limitation on type of Social Impact area made.
Understood! The impact intelligence in the social sector hasn’t been strong (also in general) so a research into impact measurement would be great. Be aware of charity ratings and how there are a lot of limitations on measuring organization due to effectiveness as business consideration, capacity building, and sustainability also come into play. There is no 100% to the cause organization. Good luck with this.
Hello Thanks! To be clear the Measurement being referred to in this case is the actual Carbon Measurement of both Individuals and Companies. Although there’s no doubt the success/impact we’re able to deliver/create via the SMI initiative will also be something measured as part of the process.
In general, I would suggest simply to start the donation into reputable organizations who provides impact reports and financial transparency (like existing nonprofit who have proven track of work) for a start.
And yes as you’re also recommending, some of the focused investments in initial SMI beneficiaries are expected to be with substantial and well recognized non-profits in these specific areas as well as some emerging web3 players. Cheers!
I’m left unsure how the suggested SMI initiative directly relates to Popcorn’s purpose, which is to create accessible DeFi products that align with positive global impact.
To answer your question 1., the SMI Initiative does not relate to the creation of the actual DeFi products themselves, leaving that to the Popcorn DeFi Dev Team. The goal with SMI is how to best align, integrate and apply DeFi to create the positive global social impact Popcorn mission is seeking. Huge need for this as non-profits as usual and old school beneficiaries on their own haven’t done this effectively, at least in the environmental space (& I’m sure others) and just getting their verified wallet and providing them with DeFi funding on it’s own is very unlikely to bring about the intended social impact sea change Popcorn is destined to deliver.
So what’s being proposed here is the creation of an approved project by project transitory co-ordination layer within the Popcorn DAO, that through temporary initiatives like SMI take the time and invest very modest DeFi amounts to develop a plan for how carefully targeted DeFi investment can identify and weave together needed old school and emerging web3 beneficiaries to accomplish true social impact as envisioned. Once the plan including named beneficiaries and initial grant amounts is complete, this would then be put forward for approval under Verified Entity/Grant processes etc. following which the SMI initiative would dissolve if no longer needed, or if an ongoing purpose required SMI continuation beyond plan development, an RFC and Proposal for funding the creation of a new entity could be put forward which could seek beneficiary status and future grants etc.
And, related, I’m left unsure how the initiative helps us directly meet one or all of our goals:
To answer your question 2., please see answers below each goal:
1. DeFi that makes you feel good - Sure you would agree that if SMI Plan is developed and represents a working solution for Sustainability Measurement & Incentives through identifying and weaving together both traditional non-profits and emerging web3 to be funded by Popcorn, that creates a new and successful solution to Measure, Incentivize and ultimately verifiably Reduces carbon from both Individuals and Companies, this use of Popcorn generated DeFi would make everyone feel good, I know it would make me feel good!
2. Further decentralisation - By developing a decentralized approach and methodology to creating and then bringing about real change, and not just a new way of funding old school beneficiaries, Popcorn can go beyond the traditional social impact investing paradigm and build something truly new. Similar to how other DAOs review, fund and approve the creation of marketing, content and materials, Popcorn would simply be doing the same for a plan produced for the POP amounts identified in the RFC during the allotted timeframe which plan would result in further RFCs and Proposals to execute the plan with beneficiaries.
3. Educate and Inspire - Not only would an initiative such as the SMI Plan serve to educate and bring together traditional beneficiary partners on the possible, it would also allow Popcorn to act as a true catalyst by educating and inspiring them to work together to create and rollout new Measurement and Incentives solutions that would benefit us all.
4. Embed Agency - Clearly current solutions to solving the environmental crisis we face are not working. DeFi offers us and many frustrated citizens, non profits and corporations the capability, methods and funding mechanisms which when creatively applied can empower a combination of traditional and emerging beneficiaries to work together for positive and lasting change.
5. Building Bridges - The development of an SMI Plan unequivocally by it’s very nature is intended to lay out the plan for building these needed bridges for major social impact to then be carried out by social impact actors and facilitated by web3. But first it must be determined which bridges should be built and provide a workable plan to be funded and then executed by beneficiaries once these needed bridges are built.
I’m left unsure about how this initiative would work: whether the thinking is that there would be a Working Group at Popcorn creating and supporting this? And would those community members be paid (i.e. is some of the intended POP intended as payment)?
To answer your question 3., in no way would the development of an SMI Plan turn Popcorn into an environmentally focused initiative, but rather the creation of an SMI Plan would only represent the first example of the development of an interim Popcorn catalyst plan development methodology blazing a trail which could be followed for facilitating any type and number of future transformative social impact initiatives the Popcorn DAO in it’s wisdom determines worthy.
Thank you for your extensive reply! I have been reading and re-reading, and will come back to this when I have some clearer feedback or questions. In the meantime, could you share how you see the Popcorn community organising around this?
First step in the process is what we’re currently moving through and that’s the RFC / Proposal for the creation of the SMI Plan document.
Once the SMI Plan development project is approved, first draft of the SMI Plan and Proposed Next Steps, Benficiaries etc. will be completed and then posted/made available for the Community to review, provide input on and then make decisions relative to any edits/changes/improvements needed before finalizing the SMI Plan.
Next step would then be on moving forward with and funding some or all of the recommended Beneficiaries and proposals with their associated funding requirements determined through the SMI Plan development process with new RFCs/PIPs etc. created and reviewed/approved via the Popcorn Advice Process.
And also, could you explain a little more what is meant by a ‘catalyst plan development methodology’? Perhaps explain it how you would if you were talking to a young child? I’m a bit lost by that terminology.
On your last request, will start with the definition of “Catalyst” and a link to further details:
Essential Meaning of catalyst
1 technical : a substance that causes a chemical reaction to happen more quickly
2 : a person or event that quickly causes change or action
The bombing attack was the catalyst for war.
She was proud to be a catalyst for reform in the government. (Here’s link to more)
In many ways one could consider Web3 to be a Catalyst, Popcorn itself to be a Catalyst and then narrowing this down further to specific actions on a given issue, a Catalyst Plan sets out to discover and design how the needed changes to deal with a single problematic issue, or seemingly insurmountable task, can be broken down into parts and then catalyzed into a workable solution in an environment where existing beneficiaries and their services, along with emerging web3 services and capabilities can then be synergized and combined to produce the changed and desired result.