[RFC 1] - Sustainability, Measurement & Incentives (SMI)

Request For Comment 1 – Sustainability, Measurement &
Incentives (SMI)

Summary:

The focus of this proposal is to inform, educate and confirm PopcornDAO’s support to develop a plan for the creation of a Sustainability, Measurement, and Incentives (SMI) initiative.

This initiative supports carbon reduction for both individuals and companies through the identification, funding, and coordination of relevant beneficiaries.

Background:

For 26 years politicians have unfortunately failed miserably at solving for the challenge of Climate Change. The Sustainability, Measurement, and Incentives (SMI) program is all about defining and
executing a grassroots plan that leverages DeFi to incentivize the goal of limiting global temperature increases to a 1.5C rise or less.

Clearly the current mechanisms that governments and international bodies have put in place are not working with a focus on only measuring the outcomes and not the sources of carbon. Adding to this, a litany of failed goals, promises and pledges still show no signs of being able to work in time to stop irreversible damage to our environment.

As a way of turning frustration into action, DeFi can support the development and rollout of universal Measurement tools for Individuals and Companies and then in concert with other sources create and encourage Incentives to realize needed reduction goals. The goal is to develop and put the right plans in place for concrete action that will measure and then incentivize both Individuals and Companies to reduce carbon creation as needed.

Proposal:

Clearly given the scale and complexity of this challenge, no single beneficiary will be sufficient to complete these tasks. What’s proposed is for Popcorn to initially fund the development, and then subsequently the rollout, of a Sustainability, Measurement & Incentives (SMI) Facilitation plan for both Individuals & Companies in 25 countries.

This plan will include identification and determination of the most appropriate and relevant beneficiaries, as well as the sponsorship which will be needed for them to then carry out the tactics set out within the SMI plan once complete. Funding required for plan development would be 2,000 POP per week with an expected duration of 12 weeks. SMI Plan deliverables to include required strategy/tactics for both Individual & Company Measurement as well as next steps with rollout funding requirements including the proposed beneficiary sponsorships and amounts.

Benefits:

• Development of an incremental plan to accomplish major change

• Completed plan will include engagement with multiple beneficiaries

• Concrete project with clear social impact on Sustainability goals

• Plan envisions major Popcorn role in funding significant social impact

Contracts/Technical Requirements:

None at this phase of project

Organizational/Partnership Requirements:

Nothing additional required, all non-technical resources included in Proposal portion above

Considerations/Risks:

Unlikely event plan developed is determined to be unfeasible

Next Steps:

Next steps following RFC Review and PIP processes will be to review and approve completed SMI Facilitation Plan along with proposed beneficiary engagements and funding.

Forum, Discord and Additional References:

https://scholar.google.ca/scholar_url?url=https://indigo.uic.edu/articles/journal_contribution/The_State_of_Carbon_Footprint_Calculators_An_Evaluation_of_Calculator_Design_and_User_Interaction_Features/10955882/files/19449824.pdf&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KX_lYYeAIMyO6rQPobewsA4&scisig=AAGBfm1YX3_fp_kMXJ5p_ZAhS-1Sq8btCg&oi=scholarr

2 Likes

@Scorpio I think Popcorn needs to decide what its social impact will be and what the pathway to change it wants to make. Based on the current White Paper and discussion with founders, Popcorn’s real impact is not on specific social impact (1% management fee contribution won’t make a significant difference) but rather a revolutionary way of engaging regular citizens in taking actions (that also benefit themselves) to tackle any social problems (this could be their local organ farming organizations for example). The total impact can be measured by people (users) engaged actively to nominate and contribute to social impact projects and organizations ( which I feel could be significant and a first step towards getting more people to care).

I see many community members proposing to direct 1% management fee to specific environmental organizations. This is doable, Popcorn needs to change its direction and its Theory of Change to make its mission environmentally specific. I am unsure this will make such a big difference (other than on the individual engagement level). However, from my experience working in the conservation field, there are three major tasks that many organizations and groups are already tacking: Climate change prevention (really to slow down); climate change mitigation (this has becoming critical as the effect of climate change has been felt around the world which results in more species being extinct on a unprecedented fast rate) ; climate change advocacy. Many large international organizations including IUCN (International Union of Conservation of Nature - with over 1200 nonprofit orgs and their power in science and technologies etc.) and TNC (The Nature Conservancy) are already dealing with these issues with fundings from various sources. I had consulted with BirdLife International recently, they raise about 30 million every year from rewilding initiative to wildlife census (so we know a species is in danger) around the world - just bird related not to mention other species (trees included) involved. There are also many facets of sustainability - i.e. regenerative farming, economic incentive etc. not just from a science point of view. In short, the task is enormous and requires the collaboration of everyone involved including and especially governmental support.

Perhaps the question is that what impact should Popcorn bring, what mark should it make. I see a unique value proposition for engaging individuals in the crypto community in giving. Then perhaps as a secondary impact, the community members can choose dedicate everything to environment? I feel that this could be excluding for people who care about other humanitarian related issues (hence affect the ultimate goal of involving more people in the impact space).

1 Like

Hello @qqsong Thanks for your insightful response! In no way am I suggesting that all funds available for beneficiary activities be allocated to environment, that will be the decision of the DAO and Popcorn holders. My understanding is that RFC and PIPs are proposed and then approved/rejected through Advice Process with no limitation on type of Social Impact area made. As inertia in the Web2 world is real, especially in the area of environment, my goal in this case is to strategically identify / deploy / apply DeFi funds to first plan/define workable solution and then rollout / implement leveraging the beneficiaries that are best positioned to complete the mission(s). DeFi is source of abundance that can be tapped and directed to make needed change happen. Thanks for your response! Cheers!

Understood! The impact intelligence in the social sector hasn’t been strong (also in general) so a research into impact measurement would be great. Be aware of charity ratings and how there are a lot of limitations on measuring organization due to effectiveness as business consideration, capacity building, and sustainability also come into play. There is no 100% to the cause organization. Good luck with this.
In general, I would suggest simply to start the donation into reputable organizations who provides impact reports and financial transparency (like existing nonprofit who have proven track of work) for a start.

1 Like

Hello @qqsong Thanks! To be clear the Measurement being referred to in this case is the actual Carbon Measurement of both Individuals and Companies. Although there’s no doubt the success/impact we’re able to deliver/create via the SMI initiative will also be something measured as part of the process. And yes as you’re also recommending, some of the focused investments in initial SMI beneficiaries are expected to be with substantial and well recognized non-profits in these specific areas as well as some emerging web3 players. Cheers!

Hey @Scorpio

Thank you so much for sharing this! It’s incredibly exciting to have community members putting forwards RFCs.

Here’s my reflections: I really feel the care and commitment you have for driving-forwards climate health, something that I share with you. However, there’s a few questions I’m left with, such as

1. I’m left unsure how the suggested SMI initiative directly relates to Popcorn’s purpose, which is to create accessible DeFi products that align with positive global impact.

Popcorn's Purpose

1. And, related, I’m left unsure how the initiative helps us directly meet one or all of our goals:

The SMI initiative, as I understand it, seems like a separate purpose: taking earnings from DeFi products and directly utilising them to run initiatives that create environmental impact. It seems to shift our focus from creating DeFi products that help support environmental initiatives (by raising funds that get given to community-nominated beneficiaries), to being a social impact organisation working towards environmental impact.

While I am glad that Popcorn is part of the wider, global movement into environmental health (through having environment as one of our beneficiary areas), it feels too large a shift to start running initiatives ourselves. However, this feels like just the kind of initiative that should apply to be a Popcorn beneficiary.

1. I’m left unsure about how this initiative would work: whether the thinking is that there would be a Working Group at Popcorn creating and supporting this? And would those community members be paid (i.e. is some of the intended POP intended as payment)?

In summary, it leaves me with the sense that while I can see the use of Popcorn itself having sustainability measurements outside of Patch, and exploring where we can be more sustainable in our footprint; and wondering if we should be placing more focus on sustainability-focused potential beneficiaries, what’s being requested here is that Popcorn becomes a environmentally-focused initiative, instead of our current roles which are DeFi products that enable social impact and a bridge between the social impact and web3 sectors.

1 Like

Hello @anna-marie,

Thanks for your excitement and inquiries about the proposed SMI Plan initiative!

To answer your question 1., the SMI Initiative does not relate to the creation of the actual DeFi products themselves, leaving that to the Popcorn DeFi Dev Team. The goal with SMI is how to best align, integrate and apply DeFi to create the positive global social impact Popcorn mission is seeking. Huge need for this as non-profits as usual and old school beneficiaries on their own haven’t done this effectively, at least in the environmental space (& I’m sure others) and just getting their verified wallet and providing them with DeFi funding on it’s own is very unlikely to bring about the intended social impact sea change Popcorn is destined to deliver.

So what’s being proposed here is the creation of an approved project by project transitory co-ordination layer within the Popcorn DAO, that through temporary initiatives like SMI take the time and invest very modest DeFi amounts to develop a plan for how carefully targeted DeFi investment can identify and weave together needed old school and emerging web3 beneficiaries to accomplish true social impact as envisioned. Once the plan including named beneficiaries and initial grant amounts is complete, this would then be put forward for approval under Verified Entity/Grant processes etc. following which the SMI initiative would dissolve if no longer needed, or if an ongoing purpose required SMI continuation beyond plan development, an RFC and Proposal for funding the creation of a new entity could be put forward which could seek beneficiary status and future grants etc.

To answer your question 2., please see answers below each goal:

1. DeFi that makes you feel good - Sure you would agree that if SMI Plan is developed and represents a working solution for Sustainability Measurement & Incentives through identifying and weaving together both traditional non-profits and emerging web3 to be funded by Popcorn, that creates a new and successful solution to Measure, Incentivize and ultimately verifiably Reduces carbon from both Individuals and Companies, this use of Popcorn generated DeFi would make everyone feel good, I know it would make me feel good!

2. Further decentralisation - By developing a decentralized approach and methodology to creating and then bringing about real change, and not just a new way of funding old school beneficiaries, Popcorn can go beyond the traditional social impact investing paradigm and build something truly new. Similar to how other DAOs review, fund and approve the creation of marketing, content and materials, Popcorn would simply be doing the same for a plan produced for the POP amounts identified in the RFC during the allotted timeframe which plan would result in further RFCs and Proposals to execute the plan with beneficiaries.

3. Educate and Inspire - Not only would an initiative such as the SMI Plan serve to educate and bring together traditional beneficiary partners on the possible, it would also allow Popcorn to act as a true catalyst by educating and inspiring them to work together to create and rollout new Measurement and Incentives solutions that would benefit us all.

4. Embed Agency - Clearly current solutions to solving the environmental crisis we face are not working. DeFi offers us and many frustrated citizens, non profits and corporations the capability, methods and funding mechanisms which when creatively applied can empower a combination of traditional and emerging beneficiaries to work together for positive and lasting change.

5. Building Bridges - The development of an SMI Plan unequivocally by it’s very nature is intended to lay out the plan for building these needed bridges for major social impact to then be carried out by social impact actors and facilitated by web3. But first it must be determined which bridges should be built and provide a workable plan to be funded and then executed by beneficiaries once these needed bridges are built.

To answer your question 3., in no way would the development of an SMI Plan turn Popcorn into an environmentally focused initiative, but rather the creation of an SMI Plan would only represent the first example of the development of an interim Popcorn catalyst plan development methodology blazing a trail which could be followed for facilitating any type and number of future transformative social impact initiatives the Popcorn DAO in it’s wisdom determines worthy.

Scorpio

1 Like

Hey @Scorpio Thank you for your extensive reply! I have been reading and re-reading, and will come back to this when I have some clearer feedback or questions.

In the meantime, could you share how you see the Popcorn community organising around this?

And also, could you explain a little more what is meant by a ‘catalyst plan development methodology’? Perhaps explain it how you would if you were talking to a young child? I’m a bit lost by that terminology.

2 Likes

Hello @anna-marie Happy to share my further thoughts around this, but remember I’m a new guy here and as you know this entire entity is a new process still under development!

First step in the process is what we’re currently moving through and that’s the RFC / Proposal for the creation of the SMI Plan document.

Once the SMI Plan development project is approved, first draft of the SMI Plan and Proposed Next Steps, Benficiaries etc. will be completed and then posted/made available for the Community to review, provide input on and then make decisions relative to any edits/changes/improvements needed before finalizing the SMI Plan.

Next step would then be on moving forward with and funding some or all of the recommended Beneficiaries and proposals with their associated funding requirements determined through the SMI Plan development process with new RFCs/PIPs etc. created and reviewed/approved via the Popcorn Advice Process.

On your last request, will start with the definition of “Catalyst” and a link to further details:

Essential Meaning of catalyst

1 technical : a substance that causes a chemical reaction to happen more quickly

2 : a person or event that quickly causes change or action

The bombing attack was the catalyst for war.
She was proud to be a catalyst for reform in the government. (Here’s link to more)

In many ways one could consider Web3 to be a Catalyst, Popcorn itself to be a Catalyst and then narrowing this down further to specific actions on a given issue, a Catalyst Plan sets out to discover and design how the needed changes to deal with a single problematic issue, or seemingly insurmountable task, can be broken down into parts and then catalyzed into a workable solution in an evironment where existing beneficiaries and their services, along with emerging web3 services and capabilities can then be synergized and combined to produce the changed and desired result.

Hope this helps to clarify!

Cheers

Scorpio

1 Like

Hello to All!,

If you haven’t had an opportunity to review, provide feedback and/or ask any questions on the Sustainability, Measurements & Incentives (SMI) RFC please review and reply to the RFC posted above.

Tomorrow, we will summarize the RFC and post PIP to Forum for the initial vote! Thanks for your interest and support!

Cheers!

@Scorpio

1 Like

Posting here a Summary of the above Discussions to highlight Questions/Suggestions & Reponses:

Summary of RFC Discussions:

First Question/Suggestion:

Perhaps the question is that what impact should Popcorn bring, what mark should it make. I see a unique value proposition for engaging individuals in the crypto community in giving. Then perhaps as a secondary impact, the community members can choose dedicate everything to environment? I feel that this could be excluding for people who care about other humanitarian related issues (hence affect the ultimate goal of involving more people in the impact space).

Response:

Hello Thanks for your insightful response! In no way am I suggesting that all funds available for beneficiary activities be allocated to environment, that will be the decision of the DAO and Popcorn holders. My understanding is that RFC and PIPs are proposed and then approved/rejected through RFC/PIP Process with no limitation on type of Social Impact area made.

Second Question/Suggestion:

Understood! The impact intelligence in the social sector hasn’t been strong (also in general) so a research into impact measurement would be great. Be aware of charity ratings and how there are a lot of limitations on measuring organization due to effectiveness as business consideration, capacity building, and sustainability also come into play. There is no 100% to the cause organization. Good luck with this.

Response:

Hello Thanks! To be clear the Measurement being referred to in this case is the actual Carbon Measurement of both Individuals and Companies. Although there’s no doubt the success/impact we’re able to deliver/create via the SMI initiative will also be something measured as part of the process.

Third Question/Suggestion:

In general, I would suggest simply to start the donation into reputable organizations who provides impact reports and financial transparency (like existing nonprofit who have proven track of work) for a start.

Response:

And yes as you’re also recommending, some of the focused investments in initial SMI beneficiaries are expected to be with substantial and well recognized non-profits in these specific areas as well as some emerging web3 players. Cheers!

Fourth Question/Suggestion:

I’m left unsure how the suggested SMI initiative directly relates to Popcorn’s purpose, which is to create accessible DeFi products that align with positive global impact.

Response:

To answer your question 1., the SMI Initiative does not relate to the creation of the actual DeFi products themselves, leaving that to the Popcorn DeFi Dev Team. The goal with SMI is how to best align, integrate and apply DeFi to create the positive global social impact Popcorn mission is seeking. Huge need for this as non-profits as usual and old school beneficiaries on their own haven’t done this effectively, at least in the environmental space (& I’m sure others) and just getting their verified wallet and providing them with DeFi funding on it’s own is very unlikely to bring about the intended social impact sea change Popcorn is destined to deliver.

So what’s being proposed here is the creation of an approved project by project transitory co-ordination layer within the Popcorn DAO, that through temporary initiatives like SMI take the time and invest very modest DeFi amounts to develop a plan for how carefully targeted DeFi investment can identify and weave together needed old school and emerging web3 beneficiaries to accomplish true social impact as envisioned. Once the plan including named beneficiaries and initial grant amounts is complete, this would then be put forward for approval under Verified Entity/Grant processes etc. following which the SMI initiative would dissolve if no longer needed, or if an ongoing purpose required SMI continuation beyond plan development, an RFC and Proposal for funding the creation of a new entity could be put forward which could seek beneficiary status and future grants etc.

Fifth Question/Suggestion:

And, related, I’m left unsure how the initiative helps us directly meet one or all of our goals:

Response:

To answer your question 2., please see answers below each goal:

1. DeFi that makes you feel good - Sure you would agree that if SMI Plan is developed and represents a working solution for Sustainability Measurement & Incentives through identifying and weaving together both traditional non-profits and emerging web3 to be funded by Popcorn, that creates a new and successful solution to Measure, Incentivize and ultimately verifiably Reduces carbon from both Individuals and Companies, this use of Popcorn generated DeFi would make everyone feel good, I know it would make me feel good!

2. Further decentralisation - By developing a decentralized approach and methodology to creating and then bringing about real change, and not just a new way of funding old school beneficiaries, Popcorn can go beyond the traditional social impact investing paradigm and build something truly new. Similar to how other DAOs review, fund and approve the creation of marketing, content and materials, Popcorn would simply be doing the same for a plan produced for the POP amounts identified in the RFC during the allotted timeframe which plan would result in further RFCs and Proposals to execute the plan with beneficiaries.

3. Educate and Inspire - Not only would an initiative such as the SMI Plan serve to educate and bring together traditional beneficiary partners on the possible, it would also allow Popcorn to act as a true catalyst by educating and inspiring them to work together to create and rollout new Measurement and Incentives solutions that would benefit us all.

4. Embed Agency - Clearly current solutions to solving the environmental crisis we face are not working. DeFi offers us and many frustrated citizens, non profits and corporations the capability, methods and funding mechanisms which when creatively applied can empower a combination of traditional and emerging beneficiaries to work together for positive and lasting change.

5. Building Bridges - The development of an SMI Plan unequivocally by it’s very nature is intended to lay out the plan for building these needed bridges for major social impact to then be carried out by social impact actors and facilitated by web3. But first it must be determined which bridges should be built and provide a workable plan to be funded and then executed by beneficiaries once these needed bridges are built.

Sixth Question/Suggestion:

I’m left unsure about how this initiative would work: whether the thinking is that there would be a Working Group at Popcorn creating and supporting this? And would those community members be paid (i.e. is some of the intended POP intended as payment)?

Response:

To answer your question 3., in no way would the development of an SMI Plan turn Popcorn into an environmentally focused initiative, but rather the creation of an SMI Plan would only represent the first example of the development of an interim Popcorn catalyst plan development methodology blazing a trail which could be followed for facilitating any type and number of future transformative social impact initiatives the Popcorn DAO in it’s wisdom determines worthy.

Seventh Question/Suggestion:

Thank you for your extensive reply! I have been reading and re-reading, and will come back to this when I have some clearer feedback or questions. In the meantime, could you share how you see the Popcorn community organising around this?

Response:

First step in the process is what we’re currently moving through and that’s the RFC / Proposal for the creation of the SMI Plan document.

Once the SMI Plan development project is approved, first draft of the SMI Plan and Proposed Next Steps, Benficiaries etc. will be completed and then posted/made available for the Community to review, provide input on and then make decisions relative to any edits/changes/improvements needed before finalizing the SMI Plan.

Next step would then be on moving forward with and funding some or all of the recommended Beneficiaries and proposals with their associated funding requirements determined through the SMI Plan development process with new RFCs/PIPs etc. created and reviewed/approved via the Popcorn Advice Process.

Eighth Question/Suggestion:

And also, could you explain a little more what is meant by a ‘catalyst plan development methodology’? Perhaps explain it how you would if you were talking to a young child? I’m a bit lost by that terminology.

Response:

On your last request, will start with the definition of “Catalyst” and a link to further details:

Essential Meaning of catalyst

1 technical : a substance that causes a chemical reaction to happen more quickly

2 : a person or event that quickly causes change or action

The bombing attack was the catalyst for war.
She was proud to be a catalyst for reform in the government. (Here’s link to more)

In many ways one could consider Web3 to be a Catalyst, Popcorn itself to be a Catalyst and then narrowing this down further to specific actions on a given issue, a Catalyst Plan sets out to discover and design how the needed changes to deal with a single problematic issue, or seemingly insurmountable task, can be broken down into parts and then catalyzed into a workable solution in an environment where existing beneficiaries and their services, along with emerging web3 services and capabilities can then be synergized and combined to produce the changed and desired result.